Friday, August 14, 2009

A redux of sorts....

Hello all, my name is Joe and I have Leukemia! Its been almost three weeks since I posted here. I have some news that is not great now, but probably will be ok. I got my genetic tests back a week ago and they are not where I want them to be. My PCR test only went down to 16% (down from 18% in April). While that might seem ok, most docs want PCR levels much lower at this point. I have been in touch with my Doc, and I will go for further testing this month. Best case scenario is I stay the course, continue with my current meds and live happily ever after...until my NEXT test! Worst case scenario is I must switch medications and start being typed for Bone Marrow Transplant.

Its funny, this disease seems so darn innocuous sometimes. I feel good, there are no visual signs of disease or sickness (unless you consider a full blown case of "good-lookin-man" a disease). I really do feel somewhat fortunate. I just found out yesterday that a friend of mine will be having a double masectomy, a parital lymph node disection, and both ovaries removed at the ripe old age of 30. All of that due to breast cancer. I can't even begin to imagine the pain she is going through. Once again, make the most of your time! You don't know what lies around the bend.

1 comment:

  1. I'm visualizing exploding BCR:ABL positive cells. Here's to below 10% next month.

    ReplyDelete