Monday, June 1, 2009

CHR

CHR=Complete Hematologic Response. That means my blood has returned to normal! This last test was very good and I am happy with the results. WBC was 11,600. RBC was 5,000, Hemoglobin was 13,000. Here are some Q & A that might crop up....

Are you free of cancer or Are you cured?
No. This just means my blood is back to its normal counts. Still a long way to go to get rid of all the bad cells.

Do you still have to take the medication?
Yes. Probably for the rest of my life

Why?
While the medication works at disabling the leukemic cells, science cannont say for sure that it kills them completely. This is brand new technology and still in its infancy.

What happens next?
More of the same. Blood work once a month, daily medication, see the oncologist in 6 months.

Why do you still need blood tests?
To monitor the effectiveness of the medication and to insure it continues to work.

3 comments:

  1. To quote the South Park kids, "Hooray".

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great news Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love you... in that ever-so-non-freaky, non-stalkerish, I'm not getting naked, but you once possibly saved my life and now you are my angel on earth and I need you to out-live me... kind of way... =)

    ReplyDelete