Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I could have been an NBA star...

Well, this morning as I lay peacefully in bed, I heard the term "Chronic Myeloid Leukemia" on the TV. I awoke immediately and turns out the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was diagnosed with the same type of leukemia I have. Kind of cool in its own way. I mean, I can't count the time people have said "Thornburg" and "Kareem" in the same sentence. The evidence is right in front of you. The same smooth drop step. The deft touch around the rim. The silky smooth transition game. The ankle breaking crossover. Its all right there. Our genetic code lets us dominate on the hardwood. However, it also let us down in the marrow department.

On a more seriuos note, I am very glad he went public. Maybe this will become a hot topic and this disease will get some press, more donations etc... Just like what Lance Armstrong did for testicular cancer, Patrick Swayze did for pancreatic cancer, and Michael Jackson did for just plain being a weirdo. It only affects around 25,000 in the US (yours truly included), so its not the most prevelant cancer percentage wise. However, it is still devasting for those who have it. I will gladly accept your donations and put them to good use (roulette wheel). Just tell me which color you want me to bet on.

No comments:

Post a Comment